Echolier

Collegedale Academy

Collegedale Academy

Echolier

Collegedale Academy

Echolier

God is Dead at CA

By: Jesse Darwin

I’m honestly terrified of being a Christian. Rather than the archaic idea of hate from other people. I don’t ever want to end up as the inspired high school alumnus that graduated two years ago and continues to post Facebook statuses about how great His love is, how wonderful life is, who He is to them. Life seems bland for the modern Christian… to say the least.

In my four great years at Collegedale Academy, erratic spirituality fills the halls maybe once a year. And with that arbitrary occurrence, many students plead lethargy and indifference. I, without a doubt, belong to this group of people. Each day becomes like the rest, with students shambling through the corridors in a zombie-like state. Falling asleep in chapel for some of us means more than lack of sleep; in fact, some students have developed strong opinions against the ritual we undergo almost everyday. Sitting in an assigned seat beside someone I don’t know, and probably won’t ever associate with, just so I can listen to another God-sent man or woman to preach on some infinitesimal figure of morality we have overlooked. Standing up to sing another old Christian-Rock song translates to us as hearing one song on repeat for eternity. The music loses meaning.

We have suddenly catapulted into a mindset that we must give everything in our lives meaning. We have lost the simplicity in finding a relationship with ‘God’ on our own. We have hit the height of our apathy towards God, and what do we blame it on? Monotony.

Sometimes I wonder where the inspiring stories of bushes catching fire and the voice of God erupting from it like a super-volcano? Where is Moses raising his hands to the sky and parting the Red Sea to lead the people of Egypt away from suffering? Where is God?

No one is to blame. It isn’t the speaker’s fault, it isn’t the faculty’s fault, but it’s our fault as Christians. Being Christians makes us responsible for making a change in our lifestyles and helping those who are not as fortunate. Doesn’t it? Instead, we remain dormant, learning the same lessons as we did a week before. What does that say about us?