But I don’t have the motivation! The uncertain effects of Covid on student life

But I dont have the motivation! The uncertain effects of Covid on student life

Due to the pandemic and having online school, many students have been finding it difficult to adjust back into the workload and environment of in-person school. Going from waking up two minutes before class and going to a meeting just to fall asleep again, to in school classes where you have to participate and teachers can give you more work is a tough transition. The workload has left students drowning in homework; struggling to keep up with the fast pace schedule of 8 classes a day and hard deadlines.      

Over our virtual learning journey, teachers felt like they couldn’t give too much homework because they knew students wouldn’t do it or it was too much compared to the other classes. Class participation went down. Presentations were also out of the question. It was a digital dilemma. Now that most students are back in school, teachers are free to go back to giving projects and presentations as a way to up class participation, which to be honest, students are not in the habit of. 

Once we students get home our minds don’t go straight to getting that pile of homework done. Our motivation is gone and we live our lives class by class; cramming for the next one. Procrastinating is so easy and makes students stress skyrocket. 

With the threat of going online again, motivation is hard to come by. Uncertainty weighs on the hearts of the youth. How will we grow up? Are we always going to wear masks? How will the future look of school and social lives look after a vaccination is put out? This can be a stressful and worrisome topic to think about. As the Seniors make decisions that will impact the rest of their lives, they have to worry about the pandemic and how it will affect their future as well. The Juniors also live with the uncertainty of the rest of the high school experience and what it will be like. We will have to adapt to the “normal,” whatever that may be. There are no solid answers right now and that can be scary. Sometimes we’re so focused on what’s going on in the world that we feel like we lose sight of the tasks right in front of us, which makes school even more difficult.

Here are some ways to help with motivation: 

1. Make a schedule for yourself, and stick to the deadline no matter what. It will get easier the more you do it. 
  2. Plan out a certain time each day that is only for homework, but also reserve a spot for some hobbies or stress relievers. 
  3. Spend time with friends in a Covid-friendly manner–motivate each other. 
  4. Most importantly, keep God as a constant helper. He will get you through this hard and uncertain time. 

It may still feel like we’re isolated, that motivation is gone, and burnout reigns supreme, but we’re all in this together. 

Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you. — 2 Corinthians 13:11