A Senior’s Advice to the Freshmen

It’s 8:02 am. You can’t get your locker open so you give up and rush to your class in room 103, wherever that is. You’re a freshman. No longer are you the top dogs of middle school with seniority and special privileges. Now, you’re back to the bottom of the food chain, ready to begin the journey of high school. The four years you spend at CA, or wherever else you end up, will most likely be the most influential years of your life. Below are 5 tips on how to get the most out of your high school experience:

1. Sign up for extracurriculars. Try out for sports teams; audition for musical groups — don’t let fear hold you back. Sign up to participate in class games, regardless if whether or not you are skilled at the activity. Remember, the point is to have fun!
  2. Get involved. If you seek a leadership position, run for class office, senate, or even SA. Sign up to give a chapel talk or get in contact with any of the youth pastors around CA. For something a little different, join a school club or even start your own!
  3. Enjoy yourself. Although studying to receive good grades is an extremely important part of high school, it isn’t everything. Use your time at CA to cultivate solid friendships, go on adventures, and begin to discover what you want in life.
  4. Walk away from drama. While making friends is crucial, learn to separate yourself from any unnecessary drama they may bring. Stay focused on your goals and priorities — you’ll thank yourself later.
  5. Accept good advice. Here are several words of wisdom from seniors to get you started. . .

“Open up and talk to people, don’t be afraid to ask questions.” -Steve Su

“Don’t get behind; your grades do matter. They’ll affect your GPA which stays with you throughout all of high school.” – Ceilidh Johnson

“Always bring a sweatshirt (or blanket) to Pennell’s class and keep up with your homework.” – Mandy Houghton

“If you fail a quiz or miss a class, don’t stress yourself out too much. None of that will even matter in five years.” – Katie Hallock

“Literally, just send it.” – Paul Wear