One of the Nine: Terry Roberts speaks to CA students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Katie Hallock, writer

Collegedale Academy students had the chance to hear a first-hand account of history when, last Thursday, on January 25, Terrence Roberts visited Southern Adventist University to speak about his experience in being one of the Little Rock Nine.

The well-educated psychologist spoke of a time in history that this generation has trouble comprehending. While the theme of racism still remains in society, it is vastly less prominent as it was in the 1950s.

Roberts’ speech revealed the daily torment and harassment of the nine students. Roberts recalled instances where he was physically assaulted, the white boys would beat him, and in one instance threw a metal lock and split his head open. They filled his locker with water and ruined his possessions.

While Roberts remembered the events of his past, it was a straight up, honest recollection of facts, told with composure. He captivated the audience with his candor and interspersed humor. Collegedale Academy junior, Jeremy Gustman, especially found Roberts entertaining, sharing, “I like someone with some good jokes, and that guy definitely had them.”

Some of the students stayed afterward to meet him and talk. The rare opportunity was appreciated by high school and college students alike.