10 things I wish I did freshmen year

It’s crazy to believe that my high school career is on its last leg: senior year. It seems like yesterday when I talked to only three people and avoided eye contact with the upperclassmen at all costs; but honestly, we all have been there. We’ve all been freshmen, the new kids, and although it might be scary to broaden your horizons and reach out, by doing so you’ll make some of the greatest friends and memories of your life.

10 things you totally should do freshmen year

1. Reach out to the new kids. A lot of students have gone to AWS & CAMS and already have a friend group, but there are so many people that crave friendship and don’t have the courage to speak up. Take the initiative: after all, the friends you have now were once strangers too.
  2. Go to Banquet . . . even if no one asks you. There’s no shame in going solo with friends or with a date. It’s always a fun time, and if nothing else, there’s food.
  3. Attend CAYA Vespers. These events are not only a great way to meet new, Jesus-fearing friends, but also to grow closer to God and your classmates.
  4. Don’t be afraid of the upperclassmen. We don’t hate you, we are probably just stressed and behind on sleep. I know tons of seniors who are more than willing to pray with you, have you sit with them at lunch, or play sports with you. It doesn’t hurt to ask.
  5. Start studying for the ACT. It’s never too early to take the ACT. It’s not impossible or extremely hard to get a good score if you study and practice. Trust me, the last thing you want to be worrying about senior year is the ACT. You have the time now to get started and study that you won’t necessarily have junior and senior year.
  6. Go on Guys/Girls campout. It’s really fun, you get to make your own food, and hang out with/make new friends! Plus, it will (hopefully) prepare you for Senior Survival.
  7. Run for Class Office or Senate (if you want). It’s a great way to get involved and make decisions for the future of CA, and an even better way to make friends.
  8. Go to sporting events. It’s a great way to support your classmates and develop some school spirit.
  9. Give a chapel talk. It seems very nerve-wracking, but the school benefits greatly every time a student at CA speaks. Students are much more likely to be attentive and listen to a peer they know than a random adult.
  10. Do an extracurricular. Whether it be a sport, journalism, or a club, it allows for a productive, fun break from studying.