Students enjoy friends, food, and games at the Spring Fling

The gym doors opened shortly after 8 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, and the crowd of students loitering in the parking lot rushed through the doors to see SA’s decorating magic.

Students were initially hesitant about having Spring Fling in the school gym, instead of the intended Farrow Farm due to a forecast of blustery weather, but they were met with a wonderful surprise.

Instead of harsh fluorescent lights and bleachers, students were greeted with glowing lights and decorated tables.

After a brief worship thought from SA Pastor Morgan Nash, students enjoyed classic Southern comfort food from Countryside Café. With their plates laden with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, green beans, salad, and bread rolls, students chatted among their tables, interrupted only by crashes from the giant Jenga game and misguided beanbags from the beanbag toss.

Before ice cream cones and funnel cakes were served, students had a chance to win their own dessert in the pie walk. If the number they were standing on was called out, the winner could choose from pies such as chocolate, cherry, and pecan.

To end the night on a high note, everybody gathered in the open area for line dancing. Students hopped, slid, and moved along to classics such as the Chicken Dance and the Electric Slide. Senior McKenzie Covrig enjoyed the Spring Fling, especially the line dancing. “I am very proud of myself for not fumbling around the entire time,” she says, “and knowing the basic electric slide will get you places.”